SPRACIASIA

Home FAQ Register Groups Classic Log in

Post new topic  Reply to topic Lighting (international) -> Re: how do you make a glow stick?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawaiizonlyangel

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2002 09:58    Post subject: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

does anyone know where i can find a web site that tells you how to make a glow stick?

JD Mac

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2003 23:38    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

Glow stick formula

1. 50 grams of sugar
2. 25 mls of 50wt% NaOH
3. 5 mls of Isopropyl Alcohol

Slowly stir sugar into NaOH, Green color will develop with no glowing characteristics,
Add IPA only when you want the mixture to glow.

Have fun. Cheap to make too.

vne_exceeded

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2003 15:01    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

what is NaOH and where can you purchase it?

Thanx

Chemist

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2003 16:11    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

NaOh is sodium-hydroxide, you get it in a jar:)

bob

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2003 06:59    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

hey what store can i buy sodium-hydroxide at?
and what does this mean (25 mls of 50wt%)

1. 50 grams of sugar
2. 25 mls of 50wt% NaOH
3. 5 mls of Isopropyl Alcohol

Rob

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2004 06:08    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

another way is to use hydrogen peroxide and phenyl oxalate ester. i just dont know where
i can get the ester. if anyone knows please let me know.

JAvery

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2007 04:17    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

Ok, I tried this, but for some reason, it didn't work for me at all.
Is there something else to the procedure that isn't written up there that I didn't do?

AllenKll

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2004 03:53    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

Sodium Hydroxide is more commonly known as lye. You should be able to get it at a
hardware store.

Be aware, Lye:
Is Very corrosive.
Causes severe burns.
May cause serious permanent eye damage.
Is Very harmful by ingestion.
Harmful by skin contact or by inhalation of dust.

Also, I would not recommend washing it down the sink when you are done.. It tends to be
highly exothermic(gets really hot) when mixed with water.

BananaGhost

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007 11:35    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

AllenKll, NaOH is just a base (opposite of an acid on the pH or pOH scale). NaOH is
aqueous. This means that it is just a solid disolved in water where it is split up into
Na+ and OH- particles. Also, adding NaOH to water only changes the Molarity. There is no
chemical reaction occuring, so it is not exothermic. The only way for NaOH to be
exothermic is to freeze it, because energy is taken away from it ->exothermic (out heat).
So AllenKll, NaOH is safe to mix with water and pouring it down the drain is the propper
way to dispose it.

Nerd Vicious

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007 11:33    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

For non-Chemist types:
Its safe to pour this down the drain, but please be careful. This is like Liquid Plumber,
just concentrated. Have the water running while you pour it, and keep putting water down
the drain. This stuff is very corrosive, and though there is only a small amount, its
concentrated enough to damage pipes.

Secondly, yes, putting pure NaOH pellets into water WILL cause a VERY HOT REACTION.
Please, get a pre-mixed solution if you're going to attempt this. It is NOT SAFE for
someone who is using this for the first time to attempt making their own solution of NaOH
without supervision.

Bottom line: NaOH IS CORROSIVE AND CAN BECOME HOT VERY QUICKLY! HANDLE WITH EXTREME
CARE.

Response to Banana:

1) The volume of NaOH we're using is small, but the concentration is high enough to
warrent caution while disposing of this stuff. So, you're partly right, it can be flushed
down a normal sink, provided there is enough water. See below for my calculations if
you're interested in the concentrations.

2) NaOH DOES cause a VERY exothermic reaction with water. Yes, it sounds like its just
ions breaking off, but its releasing TONS of energy while its doing that. In a lab, you
always mix an NaOH solution in an ice bath because it rapidly increases in temperature.
Anyone who has taken Organic Chemistry will be able to attest to this.

Chemical Calculations:
We have 25 mL of 50% weight/volume NaOH
x grams NaOh/25 ml solution = 50% wt/vol
This means we have 1.25 grams NaOH.
1.25 grams NaOH/40 (grams/mole) NaOH = .03125 moles NaOH
.03125 mol NaOH/.025 Liters Solution = 1.25 Molarity

alchemist08

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2007 15:54    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

> > Chemical Calculations:> We have 25 mL of 50% weight/volume NaOH> x grams NaOh/25 ml solution = 50% wt/vol> This means we have 1.25 grams NaOH. *WRONG 12.5 g> 1.25 grams NaOH/40 (grams/mole) NaOH = .03125 moles NaOH> .03125 mol NaOH/.025 Liters Solution = 1.25 Molarity

WARNING: THE MOLARITY OF NaOH CALCULATED ABOVE IS WRONG! You are instead dealing with 12.5
M, NOT 1.25 M! Exercise caution!

jentru17

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2004 10:31    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

is there any risks of the chemicals listed and do i need to take any safety procedures
(i.e. gloves, goggles, face masks [prevent inhalation]) in making the glow stick?
where can i also buy the usual container for the solution (glow stick) but empty?
(hahahahaha so i can rave with it)

please help. respond me back. thanx

phonicated

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2005 10:00    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

Just spend the $2.00 it sounds safer..pmsl icon_wink.gif

Mannwise

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007 03:38    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

buy a 16oz. bottle of mountain Dew. Pour out about 3/4 of the bottle leaving about 1/4 of
Dew in the bottle. Then add about 1/8th teaspoon of baking soda into the Dew. Then add 3
cap full's of Hydrogyne porxide into the dew. Then Just replace the car.... shake it up,
and ............ watch it glow !

WATCH IT GLOW

ShhitItsJordan

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007 04:11    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

This guy above me is a complete idiot, obviously he has no idea what hes talking about,
mountain dew, peroxide, and baking soda have absolutly no way they could react in order to
make it glow, if you are referring to the video that you saw on youtube/myspace tv, you
have fallen for a trick that someone posted. If you want a glowstick try one of the other
ways that people have posted above.

ShhitItsJordan - My Myspace

kemtrailhunter

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007 15:18    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

Just so you guys know, mountain dew glow is a hoax.tried it , didn't work, so pepsi made a
few bucks of a couple million kids , let's move on......

The LYE thing you guys are talking about , is it like the chemical burn in the movie
"FIGTH CLUB" ??? I think it is , anyway will try the recipe ,will be very careful, will
post you some news if it works......CIAO...

crocheca

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2007 06:16    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

how do you duplicate the glow sticks from the store? They are non corrosive.

ddtlighting

PostPosted: 03 May 2009 10:36    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

We can supply all lighting equipment in lower price!pls contact me Email:
vgdj2000@yahoo.com.cn
web: www.tzflight.com
MSN: vgdj2000@hotmail.com

Roxana26

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 20:37    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

Hello
Due to the fact that i saw how many things you know about glow sticks i wanted to ask for
your help... my cat broke a glow stick last night and we immediately went to a clinic.
now, she hardly eats, can't drink.. the doctor didn't know the composition and thus he did
some injections for general cases. i saw that there are 2 types of composition and first
of all i wanted to ask which is the commercial one and second of all which is the producer
of these sticks and how harmful are them to animals and also children. I would appreciate
your answers.
Thank you

Roxana26

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 20:40    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

Hello
Due to the fact that i saw how many things you know about glow sticks i wanted to ask for
your help... my cat broke a glow stick last night and we immediately went to a clinic.
now, she hardly eats, can't drink.. the doctor didn't know the composition and thus he did
some injections for general cases. i saw that there are 2 types of composition and first
of all i wanted to ask which is the commercial one and second of all which is the producer
of these sticks and how harmful are them to animals and also children. I would appreciate
your answers.
Thank you

Roxana26

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 20:43    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

Hello
your answers.
Thank you

Roxana26

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 20:43    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

Hello
your answers.
Thank you

Roxana26

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 20:44    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

Hello
your answers.
Thank you

Roxana26

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 20:47    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

Hello
your answers.
Thank you

Roxana26

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 20:47    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

Hello
your answers.
Thank you

Roxana26

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 20:48    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

Hello
your answers.
Thank you

Roxana26

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 20:55    Post subject: Re: how do you make a glow stick? Reply with quote

Hello
your answers.
Thank you

Post new topic  Reply to topic SPRACI Forum Index -> Lighting (international) All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: